Sunday, October 15, 2017

Fall is Upon Us...

The transition into another season reminds me that it's been ages since I've posted anything on the blog.  It's not for lack of material... we've just been so busy that it gets harder and harder to find time to put the memories into illustrations.  School started and was somewhat uneventful this year w/ both of us returning to Sparks.  I even am returning to the same teacher since Ms Cavanaugh also moved up a grade this year.  My class schedule is a little different this year because I change classrooms and teachers for part of the day.  I think they are trying to help us get ready for getting older and more and more responsibility for our schedules.  I even got a planner this year from school to help keep me organized!  Mom thought this was one of the coolest things about 3rd grade so far... she loves planners.  We've been learning cursive, multiplication and division.  I stress a little bit about these subjects - actually, I'm pretty good at them but it frustrates me some times that I have to take my time a bit more than I am used to in order to get things just right.  Mom said I was the same way in Kindergarten when I was learning new things, but I don't remember that part.  I remember Kindergarten being a breeze.  Mom and Dad have been proud that I am rising to the challenge yet again.

Campbell really seems to like being a first grader.  She walked right up to her teacher, Ms Rataczjak, on Peek at Your Seat Day (whom she said she had not met before) and gave her a big hug.  She is blossoming into an excellent reader and seems to have a bit of a natural talent at math.  We're really proud of her.  Here is a picture before our first day of school 2017:


Yes, that's just Nala.  We got our bus pick up time this year - the first year it was actually printed on our school info sheet - and it said 8:19am.  That's a full 10 min later than last year!  So on our first day we sauntered out at 8:09 to get our picks when... mom hears the bus pull up down the hill.  We high-tail it down to the bus and thank Ms Loretta for waiting.  It seems she was not informed of our new pick up time.  At any rate, we made it through a great first day re-connecting w/ old friends and meeting new ones.  And the chalk was still there for our End of the First Day of School 2017 picture:



A friend of Shea's held a birthday party at the local skating rink which gave Campbell her first chance at truly rollerskating.

Shea quickly ditched the walker and skated off (slowly) w/ her friends.  
Which led to this picture...
(Note the brace on her wrist)  Facial expression courtesy of Mom for choosing the "thickest" the brace we could find in the store.

Then we got some good news to celebrate.  Dad was inducted into his high school Hall of Fame as a Distinguished Honoree.  His commitment to being an all-around student and his community contributions were recognized in a wonderful day that was organized by the Shakopee High School Alumni Association.

It was a great day capped off by the high school Homecoming football game - the girls first experience as a football fan.  And they got to see their dad and his fellow inductees announced at half-time on the field.  Pretty cool.



 In between soccer, work, lacrosse, legos, homework and chores, we find a few free minutes to just play and be kids.  Mom came out of her bedroom the other day to Campbell and me waiting in line at the drive through to place our orders...



We'll try to make a bigger effort to come back often and keep the blog updated.  I know I enjoy going back and reliving all the wonderful pictures and stories from growing up so far.  I hope we can keep the tradition going!

No comments:

Post a Comment